Brien Holden Foundation are seeking a highly motivated Optometrist to join our Australian Aboriginal Vision program based in Alice Springs.
This unique role will involve extensive and regular travel (50-70% of the time), to deliver outreach optometry services across remote communities of the Northern Territory (NT), and deliver training to NT primary health care centres on using retinal cameras to screen for diabetic retinopathy. The work will be challenging, but highly rewarding, and suitable for an Optometrist keen to work in a public health setting.
Other non-technical project work will include general administration tasks, assistance with preparation of reports, participation in relevant meetings, and various other tasks related to the NT and Australia Program as directed.
- Tertiary qualification in optometry, with minimum two years’ clinical experience
- Valid AHPRA registration to clinically practice optometry in Australia
- Demonstrated initiative, resourcefulness, integrity and cross cultural skills
- Ability to develop good working relationships with Aboriginal people, the community, health workers and others in various Aboriginal communities in the NT
- Availability to travel extensively (within NT and occasionally other locations)
- Current driver’s licence
- Ocular therapeutics endorsement
- Undergraduate or postgraduate training in areas relevant to Indigenous health, rural and remote health, public health, community development, or similar.
If you are interested in public health optometry and want to be part of a friendly team, please contact Sarah Nicholls to find out more about this role: email [email protected].
To apply for this role you must be eligible to work in Australia.